I love New Year’s Resolutions. Writing down my wide-eyed dreams for the next 365 days gives me great hope. But then, I hate New Year’s Resolutions. Because around the middle of April I realize just how pie-in-the-sky they really were.
Take my recurring annual goal, “Get Organized.” I’ve learned it’s about as easy to accomplish as shoveling snow in the middle of a blizzard. At some point it’s more realistic to toss the shovel and go sledding.
So, I think it’s time to flip some New Year’s Resolutions upside-down. Turn them into things we can actually accomplish, for crying out loud. For the past 2 years, I’ve posted these same 10. But this year, 2017, I’m adding one more to make it 11. And, I have a feeling you won’t have any trouble accomplishing them.
With this in mind, here are my 11 hopes for you for at least a few moments in 2017:
I hope you will be…
- MESSY Because it will mean you were creative.
Take chances, makes mistakes, get messy! ~Ms. Frizzle, The Magic School Bus
- LONELY Because it will drive you to make a new friend.
Loneliness is God’s gift that drives us into relationship and enlarges our hearts to love. ~Shana Schutte
- SAD Because it will mean your heart was soft enough to feel.
Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts. ~Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
- IGNORANT Because it will give you the desire to learn.
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso
- A MISTAKE-MAKER Because it will mean you tried something new.
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~Albert Einstein
- WRONG Because it means you get to say you’re sorry.
Apologizing is difficult because it requires humility. ~Renee Garfinkel
- NEEDY Because it gives you the gift of asking for help.
Forget what you’ve been told–seeking assistance is the sign of a great leader. ~Lorie Corcuera
- BORED Because then you might be inventive.
A little boredom breeds creativity. ~Steve Maxwell
- UNCERTAIN Because then you will have to trust.
Uncertainty is crucial, it is God’s proving ground, a place of unparalleled character growth. ~Tom Avery
- WEAK Because then you will see the power of God.
My grace is enough for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. ~God
And this year, 2017, I’m adding one more:
11. SCARED Because then you might be trying something that feels waaaay bigger than you.
If you’re trying something new this year that terrifies you, post a comment here or on Facebook. Let’s encourage each other as we embrace the dawn of a new year.
When we turn our New Year’s Resolutions upside down, they become goals we can actually accomplish! And if we accomplish these, I have a feeling we’ll become people of deeper character, teachable, real, dependent on God, and full of love and empathy for those around us.
Here’s to a beautiful 2017.